Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Freezer Hashbrowns

I'm surprised at how many people don't know to do this with potatoes. My family calls me frugile but I just think I am smart. I hate buying a 10 lb bag of potatoes (they are usually cheaper than a 5 lb) and only using part of it before they go bad. This is a perfect solution. It also saves on cooking time when all you have to do is brown the hashbrowns or french fries.

-Peel potatoes
-dice or slice them (you can size them for hashbrowns or french fries)
-put them in a boiling pot of water
-cook for about 10 minutes until they are semi soft. You don't want them falling apart
-Drain the water and put under cold water. Get a cookie sheet and cover with tin foil and spray. -Spread the potatoes on a single layer on the cookie sheet.
-Put in the freezer for about 2 hours until they are frozen individually. This will keep the potatoes from clumping and going mushy.
-Pull out of the freezer and put into individual freezer baggies. We do enough in each bag for 2 of us at a time.



2 comments:

  1. I do not think you are frugile, especially because I have done this before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of those that had never tried this. I will now-Thanks Morgan.

    ReplyDelete